Monday, August 29, 2011

Salvador's Top 7: Games I Should Have Played But Haven't


So in my previous Top 7, a comment was made as to why I didn't include a certain game on my lists, in either the Top 7 or in the honorable mentions.

Now I responded to that individual in the comments and the simple answer was that I had never played the game.

It got me thinking: What other games have I not played that I probably should have? As many of you fellow gamers know, there are not enough hours in the day to play every single game that comes out.

Hell, just look at this years releases starting in September: Gears of War 3, Resistance 3, Halo CE: Anniversary Edition, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Batman: Arkham City, and hell that's just off of the top of my head as I type this.

But I do have a few games that I feel that I should play. Classics that deserve my time or games to franchises I love. So hit the jump to see which ones I haven't played but hopefully find a time to get around to.

Afterwards there is a poll in which you can vote which game I should play first, so make sure you vote!

And I sincerely apologize ahead of time for this list and have made it blatantly obvious that this is a big fail on my part, hence the facepalm picture above.


7) Fable

Action and RPG are two of my favorite genre of games. So why in the hell haven't I played Fable then? It sounds like it would be right up my alley and it even has that good/bad mechanic going on with your hero.

Part of the reason I never played this was that I didn't own an original Xbox until about a year before the Xbox 360 came out. Even then the only reason I bought it was just to play Halo 2 and I really didn't care about any other Xbox game.

I had planned on playing the original about the time Fable 2 came out, but after playing the horrendous co-op of Fable 2 anything Fable related was just a big turn off. I have yet to touch the games since December of 2008 (12/7/2008) according to my Xbox profile.


I think it may be time to give it another shot.

Fun Fact: I own all three Fable games.

6) Diablo

Who doesn't love a good Blizzard game? Especially one that is an dungeon crawling action RPG with an emphasis on loot.

The problem was that I have never been a big PC gamer. This was mostly due to the fact that all the PC's I've owned are nowhere near able to play any kind of PC game except solitaire. That, and trying to make sure a certain game is compatible with your video card is just too much of a hassle for me.

But I have played Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Starcraft, Warcraft II, and Counter-Strike either at a friends house or at a LAN center. But the only time I ever played those games were usually in a multiplayer setting. Diablo seemed like one of those games that you had to invest a lot of time into so it was a no go if I was at a LAN center or a friend's house where I had limited time to play.

Maybe I'll go and build my own PC one day and play this sometime before Diablo III comes out. Lord knows that I have a few years before Blizzard decides it's ready.

Fun Fact: The current PC I'm typing this on can't even run Half-Life 2.

5) Kingdom Hearts

I have a few friends that find it mind-boggling that I have not tried this series. It apparently has really good combat and an amazing story. Couple that with the fact that it smashes Disney with a bunch of Final Fantasy characters it sounds like a recipe for success.

Not for me. I thought it was probably the stupidest thing I had ever heard of. Have you seen how messed up characters from the Final Fantasy series are? Tidus is a teenager with daddy issues, Cloud is just a failed Jenova experiment that literally doesn't know who he is, and Squall is emo! How the hell are you supposed to mix them with the happy go-lucky attitude of Disney?

But probably the stupidest reason I hated this game, and therefore never played it, was the art style, specifically the shoes. WHY DOES SORA WEAR CLOWN SHOES?!?!? Yeah I know it's a dumb reason but it felt like Squaresoft was kiddie-fying itself in an attempt to appease children and damnit I was a teenager not a child!

But now I've matured a bit (some of you will contest that statement) and wish to give it an actual chance. I do love a good story and Square (Soft/Enix) did know how to craft them back in the day.

Fun Fact: I have a sealed copy of Kingdom Hearts II.

4) Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III on SNES)

Heralded by many as the best Final Fantasy, this is another one I feel ashamed that I have never actually played. I managed to missed this one three times: on SNES, PSOne, and the GBA. 

In the SNES days I was all about quick pick up and play games and multiplayer stuff since I was seven at the time and had a little brother to play with as well.  I never bothered with RPG's (save Pokemon) until Final Fantasy VII in the Playstation era and finding a cheap copy of either Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy Anthology complete and in good condition was and still is impossible, I still didn't play it.

I just recently managed to finally buy a cartridge only copy of this game for about twenty five bucks and that was with the discount I got as well. Twenty five dollars for a cartridge only GBA game that is now four year old and doesn't have Mario in the title? Color me surprised.

Fun Fact: Terra is my favorite character to play as and the first that I got to level 100 in Dissidia, the Final Fantasy fighting game series.

3) Super Metroid

This is the game that caused the creation of this top 7. If you have been paying attention then you should realize that this game would be nowhere on my radar during the SNES days. No multiplayer and it didn't look pick up and play friendly meant this got skipped.

Actually, the first time I played any Metroid game was Metroid Prime and then Metroid Fusion. Soon  I realized that this was a series to be reckoned with. Plus add the fact that Samus is a badass female lead and you have me sold on this series.

I would have played this by now except that I being a collecter of games I want a complete box copy of this game which means it will cost me a pretty penny and will be difficult to find. And I know it's on the Virtual Console, but it seems blasphemous to play one of the best games of all time on such a bad system.

Fun Fact: It is Metroid's 25th Anniversary and Nintendo hasn't done a damn thing to celebrate it. I HATE YOU NINTENDO.

2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

The first time I played Metal Gear Solid was on a Playstation Demo disc. I don't know what it was about that demo, but my brother and I played that demo until the disc wouldn't work anymore.

So yes, I'm a big fan of the MGS series but I haven't played the one that sets the stage. Snake Eater is the focal point of everything in the Metal Gear universe, from Metal Gear on the MSX to Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3, all of it can be tied back to Operation Snake Eater.

My reason for skipping this over? Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It took the Metal Gear Database for me to start to sort out what the hell happened in that game. I remember a friend trying to explain it to me and him finally just giving up cause he was getting confused.

Plus, since MGS 3 was a prequel, it wasn't going to answer any of my questions surrounding MGS 2. Now I know I was a fool and should have just played it.

I plan to rectify this with the Metal Gear HD Collection this coming November.

Fun Fact: I bought Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots LE at midnight on June 12, 2008. I didn't own a PS3 until the beginning of 2010.

1) Chrono Trigger

Yes ladies and gents, I have never played Chrono Trigger, the quintessential RPG and one of the best Super Nintendo games ever (or so I've heard).

Pretty much what previously happened with Final Fantasy VI happened with Chrono Trigger. It was nigh impossible to find a good copy of the game on either Super Nintendo or Playstation without sacrificing an arm and a leg and I'm still refusing the Virtual Console option.

I know there is the DS option but I really don't like playing games on the DS. I guess I'll just wait for the Playstation Network release and play it on my PSP and PS3 instead.

Fun Fact: I didn't use to dislike Nintendo...

Final Thoughts

There you have it everyone. I know you guys probably think a bit less of me now (I'm sorry!), but I know some of you are in the same boat as I so don't judge too harshly. Share your thoughts in the comments!

Honorable Mentions:

Valkyrie Profile
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Zone of the Enders (1 and 2)
Parasite Eve Series
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Prince of Persia (Sands of Time Trilogy)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Earthbound
Psychonauts
Final Fantasy I-VI and XIII
Too many other's to mention.



5 comments:

  1. Alright, where to start. Super Metroid is a must, as I posted previously. The game can be finish in as little one hour, and while I know it's going to take you much much longer, it's probably the shortest of the games listed save Fable. However, Fable can be skipped as the games following aren't much different, just more in depth.

    Chrono Trigger is another must, and while I noticed you mentioned hating your DS for some reason, the DS version actually has extra content including new endings. For a game that boasted the most endings of any SNES game, that's something to consider.

    PSYCHONAUTS! Psychonauts, Psychonauts, Psychonauts! Did I mention Psychonauts? Do it.

    And Star Wars: KOTOR was perhaps the greatest Star Wars game of all time. The only people I can see contesting this would be the MMO players, and they might be right, but you won't be able to run that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mateo: I agree with most everything there except the Fable thing and the DS thing.

    I don't hate my DS, I just prefer my PSP a whole lot more.

    Something about Nintendo has just rubbed me the wrong way ever since the Wii came out. But that's a discussion for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, this is my first time in your blog and, from what I understand you are older than me (I'm 23).
    But looking at your list I thought that you were some kid born after 2000 that's allergic to 2D games. :P

    You've got a great list to go and I'd start with Chrono Trigger or Metroid, some of the best games ever made, in a time Japan ruled supreme.

    I also think that Kingdom Hearts is kinda overrated, the story is told in a way that you think it's gonna be the best thing ever and you end up with "Darkness! Hearts!" dialogues all over the place. Couldn't stand the first one but the second one is decent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vitor: Just a year older than you. When I was young it was all about multiplayer for my brother and I so I missed out on a lot of single player stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't play the PSN version of Chrono Trigger, it's a direct rip from the PSX disc and has HORRENDOUS load times (5+ seconds to get into a menu.)

    I tend to play my DS when I'm laying down and can't sleep or at work, or when I'm out with the dog. It's an excellent port with a reworked translation and the bonus content makes it more than worth it. If you're really up about not playing it on DS, VC is the way to go, otherwise you're going to get a bad version of the game that will reflect poorly on it.

    ReplyDelete