Friday, July 29, 2011

Salvador's Top 7: Video Game Music Tracks

If you like game music, look these guys up

Welcome to Friday's Top 7! Every week I'll try to put together a top seven list of something gaming related. It could be the top NES games, the top video game villains, or the top funniest things I've heard on Xbox Live. It pretty much can be whatever I feel like as long as it is gaming related.

For this week inaugural Top 7, I've decided to go with something that is often overlooked but can be just as important as gameplay and graphics: music.

As a former band geek (even marching band), I love it when a game has a soundtrack that complements what is going on the screen. Whether it is original compositions like Infamous 2 or games that have licensed tracks like Burnout Paradise, if it is good, I will go out and find it.

So sit back and check out some of the best music I've heard through my years of gaming.


7) Katamari Damacy: Katamari Nah-Nah


Why it is here: Plain and simple? It's catchy. And the entire song just uses the word nah.

For a game that is about a rolling up objects on the planet to replace the stars in the sky which you dad, the King of Cosmos, knocked out what song is better suited? Considering it played as the game was initially loading up, it was a kind of notice that you were getting into something way outside the box.

6) God of War: The Vengeful Spartan



Why it is here: As you sit on the main menu of the first God of War, this is what plays. Sony Santa Monica was letting you know right off the bat what you were getting yourself into: a dark and epic tale of a man seeking revenge so he may find redemption for his past sins.


5) Portal: Still Alive


Why it is here: After playing the treat that was the original Portal, gamers were treated to one of the best credit songs ever. It was Glados singing about all the fun you just had playing through the game and teasing the fact that she was still alive. This song encapsulated everything that Portal was and teased of more greatness to come.

And it is hella fun to sing along with.

You guys do realize this song is the gamers Bohemian Rhapsody right?

4) Halo: Orchestral Halo Theme


Why it is here: This song is Halo. The Gregorian chants at the beginning are that awe you first have when landing on the ringworld. You just sit there trying to wrap your brain around it. And just as you start to make sense of where you are, the drums and string instruments bring you back to remind you that you are in the middle of an intergalactic battle to save the human race.

3) Mass Effect: Uncharted Worlds



Why it is here:  I visited every single point of interest I could in both Mass Effect games so I had to listen to this a lot. And even though I knew each planet would be pretty much the same thing over and over again, this song made it seem like I was truly exploring expanses of space that had been untouched for millennia.

That, and I'm a sucker for flute and piccolo parts.


2) Shadow of the Colossus: Counterattack


Why it is here: Shadow of the Colossus is a game simply made up of boss fights. But all of the fights are made memorable not only by the creature design, but by the music accompanying them.

This one sticks most vividly of all the tracks since it plays while you are riding the 13th colossus, Phalanx.

Say hello to Phalanx.

It is easily the biggest colossus in the entire game at over 550 ft. long and you have to attempt to bring it down while riding on its back as it sails through the sky. This song perfectly exemplifies the thrill and peril that you are experiencing during your encounter.

1) Final Fantasy VIII: Liberi Fatali



Why it is here: As I was compiling this list, I realized I could make a list of just songs from Final Fantasy games. Hell, I could do a list for each Final Fantasy game and still have more material leftover. So it was very difficult to choose one song that exemplified Final Fantasy the best (besides the actual theme) and was the most memorable to me. 

This song and introductory cutscene to Final Fantasy VIII is definitely it for me. I wish I could explain in words what this intro did to my adolescent brain but I cannot. Just enjoy it.

So what are your favorite pieces of video game music?


Honorable Mentions:


The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Kokiri Forest
LocoRoco - Nightmare Track
Patapon - Play it and find out what I mean.
Rock Band 3 - Bohemian Rhapsody
Final Fantasy X - From Zanarkand
Final Fantasy Series - Prelude
Super Mario Bros. - ALL OF IT

2 comments:

  1. My vote goes to the lesser known SNES version of Tales of Phantasia. Namely Perverse Religion and Be Absentminded. Screw the port and remakes, nothing topped that original audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shadow of the Colossus and God of War for the win!

    ReplyDelete